The debate on how to pronounce pho is almost as lively as the debate over the perfect combination of ingredients. Almost anything you want to put in pho is acceptable: pork belly, seafood and soft boiled eggs are a few of the most common choices. But there really is only one correct way to say it—“fuh.” Our Pho with Coconut Oil is a twist on the classic flavor profile with the addition of smoky bacon.
Pho is one of the most beloved dishes in vietnam. Like the country itself, the dish has been influenced by many cultures. The solid ingredients may be stars of the show, but without a well-balanced broth to swim in, even the fanciest ingredients would leave true pho lovers disappointed. Our recipe is an easy make-at-home recipe that will satisfy the most pho-experienced palates.
- Place all of the ingredients for the broth in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to simmer. Cover, and cook for 30-60 minutes. The longer the broth simmers, the more flavorful it will be, but if you’re in a time pinch, 30 minutes of simmering will still make a delicious pho.
- While the broth is cooking, heat coconut oil in a skillet. Sauté sliced chicken in the hot oil approximately 2 minutes on each side or until the meat is no longer pink but is does not caramelize.
- Remove chicken from the pan and cook the bacon over medium low heat, allowing the fat to render. Remove bacon and sauté shitake mushrooms until tender.
- If dinner isn’t complete without a little something sweet at the end, try our No Bake Chocolate Cookies. They only take 15 minutes to prepare, so you could whip up a batch while the pho broth is simmering. Perfect!
- Place approximately 4 cups water (you will want it to cover the noodles) in a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Place the noodles in the water and cover. Remove from heat. In approximately 8 minutes, the noodles should be tender. Drain. Check the directions on your package for specific directions.
- Strain the broth, and return it to the stock pot to heat.
- Place a serving of noodles into a soup bowl. Arrange, chicken, bacon and mushrooms on top of noodles, pour in broth. Garnish with fresh toppings as desired.