And yes! I am back, finally. Wow has it been long or what. I missed my blog, and I missed cooking for the blog, and I missed our photography sessions, basically I missed anything/everything blog related. So yea, it feels really good to be back in action.
While I was away (from the blog) I got constant questions and taunts about why I am not writing anything for the blog. I knew I was slacking but I was up to my ears with work. For the first time ever I experienced STRESS- yes, it was that bad. You know in aviation, time is money. The longer the aircraft is on ground the more money the customer loses and this particular aircraft that I was looking after, well, everything just kept going wrong at every step. I thought the aircraft would never leave. It was SOOOOOO frustrating. You have no clue how glad I was when I saw it leave the hangar.
Ok, enough cribbing now. Let’s get to the fun stuff- FOOD. I am sure you’ll have read the previous post which my sisters have written and know that we haven’t just been busy with our jobs; but we have been baking, A LOT. And we are getting good at it too. Our cakes are looking better and better as the days go by, and we are so proud of ourselves.
Now every time we bake something, we make sure we post our pictures on Instagram (HINT: Follow please!) and Facebook (HINT: Like) as well. My mother in Law doesn’t spare any opportunity (on Facebook) to let me know that she hasn’t tasted any of the cakes/blog items that I have made. Now she isn’t supposed to eat anything sweet due to her high sugar levels and I kept promising her that I would make something that would be healthy and perfect for her.
So last weekend I decided, that’s it, mummy is getting her cupcakes come what may. The Result, these Healthy Banana-Blueberry muffins. I love LOVE Bananas. Apart from eating it as is, I also love slicing it up and placing them in between two slices of Multigrain bread that have been smothered with Peanut Butter. A perfect way to start my morning. Blueberries are my absolute favorite berries. I think it has officially taken the place of strawberries in my life. So combining my two loves together we whipped up these amazing, fibre rich muffins.
Another great thing about these muffins apart from being healthy and really yummy; you can really play around with the ingredients (add/subtract fruits, chocolate chips, honey, nuts). I was so tempted to add some choco chips, but then I decided not to, for this time atleast.
Okay enough jibber jabber. Let’s get baking.
P.S: Recipe credit- Sheryl from Lady Behind the Curtain
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of whole flax seeds
- 1½ cups bananas, mashed (3 large)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Handful Raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/ 180°C
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tray by spraying with some cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl, mix all the wet ingredients i.e mashed bananas, butter, one egg and Vanilla Extract
- Fold in the wet banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until all the dry ingredients have been well moistened.
- Now gently fold in the blueberries. I prefer the fresh blueberries, but frozen ones work just fine.
- Equally divide the batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake them for approximately 20minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (well, we know the drill right). Once done cool them on a wire rack.
- Alternatively you can serve it up with some cream cheese frosting or just a simple chocolate ganache.