Apple Sauce Swiss Roll
It is getting cold and this recipe is the perfect fall recipe. Your guest and family will thank you for this delicious apple sauce swiss roll. This cake has a delicious layer of applesauce and whipped cream with brown sugar. Giving it all the perfect flavours for fall.
I know it seems unusual to put apple sauce on a cake. But believe me, it is so so good. I once ate a layered cake with apple sauce and I fell in love with it after the first bite. Sadly I don’t have the recipe anymore. But this made me decide to create my own version, so I guess it’s a good thing that I couldn’t find the recipe.
The best way to make a cake roll
When I went to school in Germany, we had a cooking class once a week. It was a huge room with 6 little kitchens in it. This is where I made my first swiss roll. I don’t remember what filing the roll had but I do remember that we had to make a clean towel wet. Squeeze all the excess water out. Spread the towel out onto a clean work surface and sprinkle with sugar. Now, place the hot sponge cake upside down onto the towel. Then roll it up and let cool.
Fall recipes you might like
How to make sure your cake is cooked trough
Well, first your cake needs to have a beautiful golden brown colour. Then there is the toothpick test. It is very easy to make. You need a toothpick, stick the toothpick into the center of the cake. When you take the toothpick out and it is clean, it means that your cake is done. But if the toothpick has batter sticking to it, it means that it is not done yet. And you have to keep baking it.
This cake is very easy to make gluten-free. I think a lot of gluten-free flours would work. But I always like to mix my gluten-free flour with almond flour. I really like the taste and I think the consistency of the cake is better that way. The gluten-free flours often have a lot of starches making it very high in carb and almond flour is low in carb. Therefore I thought it would be a good combination. To make this cake gluten-free switch out the flour with 1 cup almond flour and 1 cup and 2 Tbsp gluten-free flour.
There you have it my all favourite Apple Sauce Swiss Roll. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we have. Please follow us on Instagram and Pinterest.
Apple Sauce Swiss Roll
- 6 eggs
- 2 cup sugar +extra to make the roll
- 1⅔ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsp brown sugar +more if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a17inch by 11inch square bake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the eggs on high speed for 7 min until the eggs are light in color and double in volume. Add the sugar with the mixer still on.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into egg mixture and carefully fold in with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 15-20min.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the wet towel. You will need a clean kitchen towel and rinse it water. Now squeeze out as much water as you can.
- Place the towel on a clean work surface and sprinkle with sugar.
- When the cake is done and still hot. Place it upside down on the wet towel and roll the cake and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Mix the heavy cream with the brown sugar on high for about 1 to 1 and a half min, once it is stiff and forms speaks it is done.
- When the Swiss roll is cooled carefully open it up so it doesn't break and spread the apple sauce generously on.
- Now, spread the whipped cream on top of the apple sauce layer and roll up the Swiss roll.
- Place the cake into the fridge for a few hours before you serve it, when you let this cake sit in the fridge overnight it will taste even better.