Air fried radishes are an easy, healthy, and low-carb side dish that cooks quickly in an air fryer. You won't believe how delicious they are roasted!
Don't dismiss radishes as just a pretty garnish for your salad. You'll crave them when they're roasted in an air fryer or oven! The cooking process transforms this root vegetable from crispy, peppery and crunchy into a mild, fork tender delight with the texture of a potato.
Enjoy them right out of the air fryer. Or, make two sides in one by roasting carrots and radishes and drizzling them with lemon dill sauce. Either way, you'll wonder why you waited so long to try them!
If you're looking for a quick and easy dish to round out a spring dinner that's also keto-friendly, air fryer radishes are for you!
Types of Radishes
There are many different types of radishes. But, there's a good chance you'll only find the little Cherry Belle or larger Red Globe varieties at your local grocery store.
They're available year round, but generally harvested in spring and winter. Want a less pungent radish? Ones that grow and are harvested in warm temperatures have more kick.
You may get lucky and find the white carrot-shaped Daikon at the store too! Those are mild, less peppery and almost sweet when cooked!
Guess what we used in this recipe?
How to Cut Radishes
To prepare the radishes for roasting, cut off the green stems and the tip on the other end. Depending on the size of the radish cut them into halves, quarters or even a little smaller if the radish is large.
Aim for about ½ inch in size. They can be any size. But, the larger the cut the longer it will take to roast them.
You do not need to peel them! The outsides are not only pretty but provide the crispy outside texture once they're cooked.
How Slicing Impacts Radish Taste
Here's an interesting fact to bring up at the dinner table. Radishes aren't like peppers and don't contain a spicy compound like capsaicin. The act of cutting the radish and eating it actually causes the peppery taste. You can read the scientific explanation at Gizmodo.
Directions with Pictures
Here's what you need to do:
- Wash and dry radishes, cut off green stems, and brown spots. Cut into small ½ inch sized pieces.
- Toss radishes with olive oil, salt and pepper. They should be lightly coated, but not drenched.
- Place radishes in the air fryer basket, ideally in a single layer. Depending upon the size of your air fryer, they may overlap a little bit. That's okay. But, you'll want to shake the basket an extra time or two so they cook evenly.
- Cook at 390 °F for about 15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. The radishes should be juicy, fork tender and starting to brown on the outside. Pull out the basket and stick a fork in one to test!
- Note: You don't need to preheat the air fryer, but you can. If you do, reduce the total cook time by the same amount.
The cooking time may vary depending upon your air fryer. If this is the first time making the recipe, pull out the basket and check near the end of the estimated cook time so you have perfectly roasted radishes!
Roast in the Oven
You can roast radishes in the oven too! Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Prepare them the same way and then spread them in an even layer on a sheet pan misted with cooking spray. Cook for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
The tops of radishes are edible. Cook them as you would any other green.
Radishes are low-carb, low-calories and perfect for a keto diet. See nutritional information below. We estimate that one serving has 2 net carbs.
Storage and Reheating
Roasted radishes are best eaten right away!
Refrigerator: Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Reheat in the air fryer at 390 °F for about 5 minutes or follow the directions for reheating vegetables in your air fryer. They may also be warmed in the microwave, but they won't be crispy.
More Roasted Vegetables
You can air fry or roast all of these vegetables too!
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Air Fried Radishes
- 1 pound radishes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry radishes, cut off green stems, and brown tips on the bottoms. Cut into small ½ inch sized pieces.
- Toss radishes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place radishes in the air fryer basket, ideally in a single layer.
- Cook at 390 °F for about 15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. The radishes should be fork tender and starting to brown on the outside. Pull out the basket and stick a fork in one to test!