- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar (granulated works, too)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
These MINI PAVLOVAS topped with fresh fruit, whipped cream, and fruit syrup is the ULTIMATE holiday dessert. The perfect dessert recipe for Christmas or any celebration. Beautiful, delicious, and EASY!
1. Preheat oven to 225F.
2. Line an un-rimmed (if available) baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 3.5” circles on the parchment paper, and turn the paper over so no pencil markings get on the meringue.
For the Pavlovas:
3. Pour the egg whites into a large mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer on HIGH until the whites look like clouds. Keep whisking the whites and add the sugar slowly until the whites are stiff, glossy and smooth. Rub a little of the meringue between your finger and thumb – once no sugar granules can be felt, the meringue is ready.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, vinegar and extract. Add this mixture to the beaten egg whites and whisk on HIGH for 5 seconds (just until it is incorporated in the whites).
5. Place a tiny dab of meringue under each corner of the parchment to keep it in place. Pile the meringue into the middle of each circle. Gently push the meringue toward the sides to create a rimmed “bowl” of meringue. The sides should be higher than the middle, and the meringue should have a rim to hold the filling. Smooth the middle of each circle with the back of a spoon.
6. Place meringues in the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 200F. Bake 60 minutes or until they are firm to the touch and still white. Check on the meringues after the first 15 minutes. If they are darkening or cracking, reduce the temperature 25 degrees F. Turn off the oven and leave them in another hour. Transfer the meringues to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Cream:
7. Pour cream into a mixing bowl and whisk on MED-HIGH 1 minute. When it begins to thicken, add sugar and vanilla and continue to whisk just until firm. Do not overbeat (the cream will solidify).
For the Fruit:
8. Combine all fruit in a bowl and mix gently.
For the Sauce:
9. Place jam and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Heat over MED-LOW heat until sauce reduces and thickens a bit. If desired, add liqueur and mix.
To Assemble and Serve:
10. Fill each meringue with whipped cream mixture and spread it out to cover the top of each meringue. Be sure to leave a little “bowl” space for the fruit.
11. Spoon the fruit into the middle of the whipped cream and drizzle the sauce over the Pavlovas. Garnish with mint leaves & sprinkle with powder sugar.
12. Serve & ENJOY!