- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream (30 ml) (from the top of a can of refrigerated coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 Granny Smith or another green apple, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced at an angle
- 10 grapes, halved
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
DESCRIPTION: If you eat the same salad every day, it’s easy to become bored. Fortunately, this AIP waldorf salad offers an amazingly unconventional lunch or dinner option.
Perhaps the signature feature of a traditional waldorf salad is its mayonnaise base. To make this version AIP-friendly, I created a homemade dressing that pairs nicely with apples, celery, and grapes.
It’s waldorf gone tropical! This special dressing is made by combining coconut cream with lemon juice.
This combination may curdle on you at first, but if you’re bothered by that possibility go ahead and make a larger batch and emulsify it with a hand blender.
Lactose intolerant or just generally dairy-free folks are already wise to using coconut milk to make safe salad dressings. Now you can too!
- Make the AIP salad dressing by combining coconut cream and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the dressing to all the remaining ingredients and toss until evenly coated.