- 6 slices crusty bread
- 17 oz gruyere cheese
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup rich white wine
- 18 oz vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs thyme
Creamy Cheese: Malakoff is a Swiss fondue appetizer. The original recipe for Malakoffs dates back to the middle ages.This cheese fritter was the inspiration for the very popular mozzarella cheese stick. An almost sinful mixture of Gruyere, garlic, wine, and thyme; scooped onto bread rounds, and fried to perfection.
Adding herbs such as rosemary or oregano will create additional herbaceous flavor notes. You can also sprinkle some paprika or onion powder for additional flavor.
- Using a 3-inch ring cutter, cut one round from the center of each slice of bread.
- In a bowl, mix grated cheese, flour, nutmeg, minced garlic, lightly beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly add the wine and chopped thyme. Stir until thick paste forms.
- Place a dollop of the cheese mixture on each bread round.
- Using wet hands, mold the mixture into smooth high mounds.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the Malakoff until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and a bottle of rich white wine.