- 2 14-oz cans of garbanzo beans
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup Mighty Sesame tahini
- 2 cubes of Dorot Gardens Frozen Garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- For Red Hummus:
- 1 medium beet, Beetology Organic Beets
- For Blue Hummus:
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/4 sliced onion
- Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For all your Labor Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day parties, impress your guests with this patriotic, tri-colored twist on traditional hummus. I use squeezable Mighty Sesame Co. tahini as a base, not just because the bottle makes it easy to use, but more importantly because the healthy, all-natural formula is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-GMO, kosher, halal, and keto friendly. That means all my friends and family can enjoy this delicious and beautiful hummus, and so can yours! Catch your guests’ eyes with a patriotic presentation, and catch their hearts with the incredible flavor of this super easy-to-make appetizer.
- Rinse and drain cans of garbanzo and set aside.
- Mix together lemon juice and water and set aside. Whisk together tahini and oil and set aside.
- In a food processor, process garbanzo beans with Dorot Gardens garlic, salt, and cumin until chunky. Then add lemon mixture and process until somewhat smooth. As the machine runs, add olive oil and tahini mixture until smooth, scraping bowl as needed.
- Remove 2/3 of the hummus and add 1 medium cooked beet and process until bright red and smooth.
- Clean food processor and add half of reserved hummus back in the processor.
- Sauté cabbage with onions on medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened. Add mixture to hummus in the food processor with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Process until bright blue. Note that it may look a bit purplish, but when paired with the other colors you will achieve a patriotic look either way.
- Place all three hummus colors in resealable plastic bags and clip end of each bag to allow hummus to flow out freely.
- Use your imagination to create an American flag or any patriotic party dish with the hummus. Serve with extra virgin olive oil and plenty of crackers.
Makes 4 cups of hummus.