- 1 heaped tbsp brown rice
- 1 heaped tbsp white rice
- 1.5 cups Quorn chicken-style pieces
- 1 cup frozen mixed veg (peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, carrot, red pepper)
- 2 tbsp onion gravy powder
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- up to 1/2 tsp chilli powder (strength and quantity to taste)
- 1 heaped tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
A simple and delicious one-pot vegetarian rice dish with Quorn pieces and mixed vegetables, served in a mild onion and tomato based sauce. Perfect for when you want something low effort but high reward! The whole recipe can be made within the 30 minute cook time since the sauce can be prepped while the pan is simmering. (Note that this is not vegan as Quorn pieces contain egg and small amounts of milk whey.)
- Add brown rice to a medium saucepan, cover with boiling water, and put on high heat until bubbling up.
- Turn heat down to low for 12 minutes.
- While the brown rice simmers, mix the gravy powder and seasonings in a mug with a enough boiling water to make a nice medium consistency gravy.
- After the 12 minutes, add the white rice and Quorn pieces to the pan, and cover with more boiling water.
- Turn the heat back up to medium-high until bubbling again, then back down to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- While this simmers, add the barbecue sauce and soy sauce to the gravy and stir well.
- After the further 12 minutes, add the frozen veg to the pan and turn the heat to medium, adding more water if needed.
- Stir the pan frequently for the next 4-5 minutes while everything finishes cooking.
- Pour the water off from the pan.
- Add half the sauce to your bowl, spoon the cooked food in, then pour the rest of the sauce over the top and mix well.