- 4 cups of chips, or 1 large chunk of oak or hickory (any wood will do)
- 6 small to medium onions (makes 4 cups of smoked onions)
- 1 small - Medium jar of Artichokes
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ rub
- 1 tablespoon of EVO or Canola
- 4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1.5 cups of Cream Cheese – softened and cubed
- .5 cup homo milk or half and half
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke (optional, if you prefer it very smoky)
- 1.5 tablespoons regular sugar
- 1 cup Cheddar - shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt and pepper, plus more to season
Serve with grilled pita wedges or crispy tortillas.
- Prepare your smoker, BBQ, or grill to approx. 300-350 F (charcoal or gas combined with 2 cups of chips in tinfoil X 2, or 2 medium size chunks of wood)
- Smoke onions - off heat - with your choice of wood for 40 minutes. Replenish wood chunk or chips after 30 minutes
- Peel and half the onions. In a bowl, toss with the oil, and sprinkle to rub on each piece
- Place in the smoker, and smoke for 60-75 minutes. Onions should be well-smoked when medium to dark top layers, and relatively soft but not falling apart
- Remove artichokes from jar/can, and chop to small pieces
- When the onions are done, let cool, then chopped finely
- Heat oven to 350 F or add more fuel to your BBQ to bring it to 350 F
- Soften your cream cheese cubes in the microwave for 30 sec.
- In a casserole dish (2” deep preferred), add cut onions and artichokes. Then add remaining ingredients less the cheddar cheese.
- Mix well with the kitchen tool of your choice.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Then top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 20-30 min. (or on your grill -off heat)