- 1 lbs bread dough (450 grams) dough from my pizza dough recipe or 1 lb of frozen bread dough.
- ½ lb sausage (225 grams) Vegan plant-based sausage, Italian style ground
- 1 med onion diced
- ¼ red bell pepper (50 grams) diced
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1½ tsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (40 grams) diced (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (100 grams) grated (optional or use vegan cheese)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese (50 grams) grated (optional or use vegan cheese)
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese grated (optional or use vegan cheese)
- 1 cup marinara sauce for dipping
Vegetarian or vegan sausage bread is a braided loaf of homemade bread that is over-stuffed with Vegan sausage and cheese. So good that even a meat-lover won’t be able to tell it’s Vegan or Vegetarian. Serve it with homemade as a dipper.
Sausage Bread is a family favorite in our household. This is a recipe that has been in my husband’s family for years and is a favorite for our family get-togethers. This bread is traditionally made with pork sausage, either spicy or mild. However, with the new plant-based meats, I am taking some of my favorite meat recipes and using plant-based protein in them. This vegetarian or vegan sausage bread was a hit. I don’t think the meat lovers even realized they were eating plant-based meat-substitutes. Make some and SHHH don’t tell anyone it isn’t real meat.
Purchase or make 1 lb of Pizza Dough.
Saute the Vegan Plant Based Italian sausage until it is well browned. Remove sausage from the pan into a mixing bowl. Drain all but 1 TBSP of the fat from the pan.
Saute the chopped onions in the fat until the onions are translucent. Add the diced red peppers and garlic. Saute for another minute.
Add the browned Vegan Sausage, Italian seasonings, and sundried tomatoes stir to mix well. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before adding it to the dough.